Community gardens have long been a key component to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy’s work in the region. In 1932, WPC began as The Greater Pittsburgh Parks Association, having been “formed for the maintenance of a society or association for the improvement of streets, highways and public places in any city, borough, or township in the Commonwealth, especially in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and to this end to prepare and promote a program for the maintenance, acquisition, development, organization and administration of public parks, parkways, playgrounds, places and facilities for recreation, exercise and games, and as incidental thereto acquiring, holding and improving real estate and equipment suitable for such parks, parkways , playgrounds, places and facilities.”
The Association (whose name changed to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy in 1951) was responsible for using natural landscaping as a tool to improve public spaces in areas throughout Allegheny County and greatly expanded this work with the merger of the Pittsburgh Park and Playground Society in 1973.
Ever since, WPC has been working with residents, volunteers, municipalities and supporters to improve public spaces through gardening. This work contributes to attractive and healthy environments where people want to live, work and raise families.
We invite you to learn more about our community gardens projects:
Community Flower Gardens
Community Vegetable Gardens
Become a community greening volunteer
Meet our Community Gardens and Greenspace Sponsors
Support the Community Gardens and Greenspace Program