• The forested landscape includes some old growth forest, including the largest virgin forest in the eastern U.S. between the Adirondacks and the Great Smoky Mountains (4,000 acres at Tionesta Scenic Natural Area and Tionesta Research Natural Area).
• The region’s forest ecosystem includes portions of western New York, adding even more significance.
• Most streams are of high or exceptional water quality.
• 17 forest blocks totaling 215,000 acres
• 44 occurrences of globally rare plants, invertebrates and vertebrates, including green- faced clubtail dragonfly and Swainson’s thrush.
• 31 significant occurrences of natural communities (swamps, riparian habitats, etc.)
• 700 miles of stream and river ecosystems representing the aquatic diversity of the upper Ohio Basin
USDA - Forest Service
The Collins Companies
Pennsylvania and New York chapters, The Nature Conservancy