Burke Building Façade is Permanently Protected

Tue, Oct 5th 2010, 11:36. Filed under News Releases.

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation Receives Preservation Easement from the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy

October 5, 2010 – Pittsburgh, Pa. – The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy (WPC) and Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation (PHLF) announced today that WPC has sold the Burke Building on Fourth Avenue and donated a preservation easement on the building to PHLF, which will permanently protect the building’s façade. The building has been sold to Burke Building Enterprises L.P.

The Burke Building is the oldest office building in downtown Pittsburgh, designed by John Chislett and erected in 1836. Only the block house in Point State Park is older. Built by lawyers Robert and Arthur Burke, the building is a handsome example of American Greek Revival architecture.

Tom Saunders, president and CEO of the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, said, “This building was the central office for the Conservancy for ten years, until we relocated to Washington’s Landing. We are glad that we and the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation were able to protect the building in the future with a preservation easement because of its historic importance.” The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is located in the City-Designated Market Square Historic District.

“The Conservancy has saved thousands of acres of land with easements, and we have protected the exteriors of many buildings and we are very pleased to have worked together to protect this extraordinary structure,” said Arthur Ziegler, president of PHLF.

 

###

 

About Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation
Recognized as one of the nation’s most innovative and effective non-profit historic preservation organizations, PHLF works to: identify and save historically significant places; revitalize historic neighborhoods, towns, and urban areas; preserve historic farms and historic-designed landscapes; and educate people about the Pittsburgh region’s rich architectural heritage. PHLF is charted to work within the western portion of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the surrounding area within 250 miles of Pittsburgh, Pa., although its primary focus is on the Pittsburgh area. For more information, visit www.phlf.org.


About the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy (WPC) enhances the region’s quality of life by protecting and restoring exceptional places. A nonprofit conservation organization founded in 1932, WPC helped to establish ten state parks and has conserved more than 228,000 acres of natural lands and waterways. The Conservancy owns and operates Fallingwater, the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Mill Run, Pa. that symbolizes people living in harmony with nature. In addition, WPC enriches our region’s cities and towns through 140 community gardens and greenspaces that are planted with the help of 10,000 volunteers. The work of the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is accomplished through the support of more than 10,000 members. For more information, visit WaterLandLife.org.

 

Media contact:
Stephanie Kraynick
Director of Communications
(412) 586-2358
skraynick@paconserve.org

 

 

 

 

 

The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is a nonprofit, tax-exempt charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3)
of the Internal Revenue Code, and 100% of your donation is tax-deductable as allowed by law.