Housekeeping Specialist II – Full-time
Fallingwater, a property entrusted to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy and designated as a National Historic Landmark and inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List, is seeking a highly motivated individual to serve as full-time seasonal Museum Housekeeping Specialist II who will clean interior of Fallingwater house museum and perform other housekeeping and basic cleaning duties around the Fallingwater site. This position will report directly to the Head of Housekeeping. As an iconic museum destination with an international audience, Fallingwater offers its visitors an unparalleled experience and upholds the highest industry standards in customer service and hospitality.
- Cleans museum and cares for furnishings and collections in accordance with established curatorial and housekeeping procedures as outlined in the housekeeping manual.
- Oversees the proper arrangement of furnishings, pillows, textiles, objects and the placement of other collection pieces in accordance with established procedures.
- Reports broken objects, damaged collection items and potential maintenance and safety problems in and around the museum to the Director of Preservation and Collections.
- Surveys condition of collections and furnishings for wear and dirt and apprises the Director of Preservation and Collections.
- Keeps equipment and housekeeping storage areas clean and organized.
- Cleans Barn, pavilion gallery, ancillary WPC buildings and offices, including mopping, vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, emptying trash, changing beds, washing windows, cleaning refrigerator, laundry, etc. as directed.
- Assists staff with set up and clean up for special events at the Barn, ancillary buildings and museum.
- Checks restrooms, kitchen area, entrance area, meeting rooms and other spaces at the Barn during events to ensure supplies are restocked and areas spot cleaned as needed.
- Maintains necessary supplies at the Barn, ancillary buildings, museum and offices.
- Assists with basic exterior maintenance, such as sweeping and spider web removal.
- Assists in prioritizing daily tasks and completing appropriate daily task log.
- Assists in training new housekeeping staff.
- Properly mixes cleaning solutions and changes vacuum bags and filters.
- Monitors and alerts the Head of Housekeeping for the ordering of paper supplies.
- Supports the Conservancy’s fundraising efforts and needs, as applicable.
- Covers for the Facilities Caretaker when that person is off.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bending, twisting, lifting and carrying up to 40 pounds
- Climbing up and down stairways.
- Sitting/standing/walking for periods in excess of two hours.
- Must be able to use a broom, mop and vacuum cleaner.
- Ability to work with cleaning fluids and other chemicals.
- In-depth understanding of housecleaning using curatorial and preservation policies and procedures.
- Previous experience as a Museum Housekeeper I or equivalent experience with curatorial housekeeping at a historical property.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and with others.
- Must have good communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage time throughout the day.
- Ability to work weekends and holidays.
- Flexibility with schedule and hours is required.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Ability to meet all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
This position's primary location(s): Fallingwater (Mill Run, PA)
This is a full-time seasonal position with benefits.
Starting Rate: $16.15/hour
Please send a letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com and list Museum Housekeeping Specialist II in the subject line.
All WPC/Fallingwater locations are mask friendly, but not required. We are encouraging vaccinations. All employees are required to follow the WPC Covid policy in effect, which is subject to change based on CDC recommendations.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is fully committed to diversity and inclusion. We seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our team. Read our equal opportunity employer statement.