Natural Heritage Conservation Planner
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy has a full-time opening for a Natural Heritage Conservation Planner. The natural heritage conservation planner will focus on the interpretation and provision of ecological information, with heavy reliance on GIS mapping and analysis, for use in planning at state and municipal levels as well as for conservation organizations and state agencies. An essential function of the position is the development and maintenance of Natural Heritage Areas (NHAs) as a primary Pennsylvania Natural Heritage Program (PNHP) planning product.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy has been dedicated to protecting and restoring the region’s exceptional natural places since 1932. As a member-based nonprofit organization, we work across Western Pennsylvania and rely on the help of thousands of members, partners and volunteers. We do this work for the benefit of wildlife and people who call Western Pennsylvania home, and for future generations.
The Natural Heritage Conservation Planner oversees development of NHAs and integrates ecological and conservation information into NHAs and other PNHP products. This person works across program areas and communicates with agencies, municipalities, conservation organizations and other entities to understand how PNHP products can best fit the conservation needs of numerous stakeholders.
- Utilizing keyboard and fine motor skills
- Sitting, bending, twisting, stooping or standing for up to eight hours/day
- Operating a motor vehicle with a valid driver’s license
- Seeing with near, far and peripheral visual acuity
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred with emphasis in natural resources. planning, landscape architecture, ecology, geography, or related fields.
- Experience in planning and development of planning-oriented products.
- Experience and demonstrated success using ArcGIS Pro to create, edit, and manage geospatial data is required.
- Experience with the R programming language as it relates to GIS, database management, spatial analysis or statistical analysis is required.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex datasets and produce reports and products based on the results.
- Knowledge of county and municipal planning tools, land use regulations and planning products such as comprehensive plans, greenway plans and river conservation plans.
- Experience in communication of technical information to a wide range of audiences is preferred.
- Familiarity with the natural history and plant, animal, and community ecology of the northeastern U.S., particularly of Pennsylvania.
- Proven experience working on complex projects or programs involving multiple teams and individuals. Must be able to demonstrate sound decision-making abilities, organizational skills, and ability to complete tasks efficiently and on time.
- Excellent written communication skills. Good oral communication skills, including the ability to develop and make presentations to the general public and peer audiences.
- Cooperative work ethic, good interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a wide range of people.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, which can include some evenings and weekends, and willingness to travel within Pennsylvania.
This position's primary location(s): Headquarters - Pittsburgh Office (Pittsburgh, PA)
This is a full-time position with benefits.
$42,000 – $50,000
Please send a letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and list Natural Heritage Conservation Planner in the subject line.
All WPC/Fallingwater locations are mask friendly, but not required. We are encouraging vaccinations. All employees are required to follow the WPC Covid policy in effect, which is subject to change based on CDC recommendations.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is fully committed to diversity and inclusion. We seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our team. Read our equal opportunity employer statement.