Judy Cheteyan Fallingwater Collections Internship
Fallingwater, a site on the UNESCO World Heritage List designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, seeks applications for its
Judy Cheteyan Fallingwater Collections Internship. This year we seek a full-time residency intern to work exclusively with the archives collection as part of a Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission Historical & Archival Care Grants project to fully process and digitize the Fallingwater archival collection.
Working under the supervision of both the registrar and director of preservation and collections, the collections intern will select one or more collections from the archives as a focused summer project. The selection will be based on diversity of content, and will be of a size and scope that can be successfully completed. Duties will include housing, organizing, and preparing a finding aid according to national standards for DACS (Describing Archives: A Content Standard) and EAD (Encoded Archival Description).
- Organization of digital files returning from outside digitization as well as creation object records in
our collection management database, PastPerfect.
- Continued cataloguing of Kaufmann Family archival collection, including rehousing of archival
- Recent graduate or current graduate student in Library and/or Information Science with a strong interest and relevant experience in archives.
- Preference given to those with an interest and/or experience with photo archives.
This position's primary location is Fallingwater
Fallingwater is located in rural Mill Run, Pennsylvania (zip code 15464), and is approximately ninety minutes by car from the Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT). Having a motor vehicle is strongly recommended as there are no stores or amenities within walking distance.
Ten weeks, beginning June 5, 2023, and ending August 11, 2023. Interns will be expected to work during normal business hours (typically Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm), 40 hours per week. June 19 and July 4 are unpaid holidays.
- Coed, shared housing is provided at no charge
- Interns are required to provide their own food, linens, laundry supplies and toiletries
- Having a motor vehicle is strongly recommended as there are no stores or amenities within walking distance
- Ride sharing services, such as Uber and Lyft, are currently not available in the area surrounding Fallingwater
To apply, email the following items to email@example.com and list FW Collections Intern in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- Two letters of reference (academic or employer)
- Essay of 500 words on how this internship program fits your academic and/or career goals
Application DeadlineMarch 31, 2023
All WPC/Fallingwater locations are mask friendly, but not required. We are encouraging vaccinations. All employees are required to follow the WPC Covid policy in effect, which is subject to change based on CDC recommendations.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is fully committed to diversity and inclusion. We seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our team. Read our equal opportunity employer statement.