Katherine Mabis McKenna Foundation Landscape Internship
Fallingwater, the architectural masterwork designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and site on the UNESCO World Heritage List, seeks applications for two internship positions in Fallingwater’s Katherine Mabis McKenna Foundation Landscape Internship program.
The landscape interns are responsible for the design and installation of a project for the Fallingwater grounds. The interns will work as a team to implement the approved design/build project. Cyclical maintenance of the Fallingwater landscape will also be part of daily responsibilities. The interns work under the direct supervision of the Horticulture Specialist and the Director of Operations. Dr. George Longenecker, Professor Emeritus at West Virginia University, will also provide guidance on a weekly basis throughout the summer.
- Applicants must have the ability to perform strenuous outdoor landscaping tasks in a variety of weather conditions
- Enrollment in a master’s program or undergraduate program in Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, Landscape Contracting or related fields of study
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and CAD or other drafting software
This position's primary location is Fallingwater
Fallingwater is located in rural Mill Run, Pennsylvania (zip code 15464), and is approximately ninety minutes by car from the Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT). Having a motor vehicle is strongly recommended as there are no stores or amenities within walking distance.
Ten weeks, beginning in late May and ending in early August. Interns will be expected to work during normal business hours (typically 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), 40 hours per week.
- Coed, shared housing is provided at no charge
- Interns are required to provide their own food, linens, laundry supplies and toiletries
- Having a motor vehicle is strongly recommended as there are no stores or amenities within walking distance
- Ride sharing services, such as Uber and Lyft, are currently not available in the area surrounding Fallingwater
Masks are optional within all WPC/Fallingwater locations. We are encouraging vaccinations and will be implementing weekly testing effective March 5, 2022 for those not vaccinated.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is fully committed to diversity and inclusion. We seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our team. Read our equal opportunity employer statement.