Careers at the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy are rewarding in more ways than one. While working at the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, including at Fallingwater, you’ll experience an unusually deep sense of accomplishment, pride and camaraderie with other like-minded professionals.
Community Greenspace Coordinator - Pittsburgh, PA
Fallingwater Maintenance Position - Mill Run, PA
Housekeeping Specialist - Mill Run, PA
Registrar - Mill_Run, PA
Tour Guides - Mill Run, PA
Visitor Services Representative - Mill Run, PA
COMMUNITY GREENSPACE SERVICES COORDINATOR
Assists with the planning and delivery of field services for Western Pennsylvania Conservancy’s Community Gardens & Greenspace program, including community flower gardens, food gardens, and tree planting. Provides coordination, technical and administrative support for field services. Develops and implements, under the guidance of supervisor, work plans, annual garden designs, garden maps, plant orders, materials ordering, and inventory. Assists in the coordination and execution of landscaping and irrigation installation and maintenance activities for department projects. Assists with recordkeeping and on-going program monitoring and evaluation. Requirements include a minimum of 2 years landscape maintenance or horticultural experience. Must be able to implement landscaping projects and manage contractors. Experience in environmentally sound landscape design, implementation and maintenance is strongly preferred. Must be highly organized and be able to work well with contractors, staff, garden stewards, volunteers and others to coordinate and implement multiple landscaping projects simultaneously. Must be flexible with schedule and able to work long hours, evenings and weekends, as required. This is a full-time position and provides a competitive salary and excellent benefits. To apply, email a resume and cover letter listing salary expectations to email@example.com and list Greenspace Services in the subject line.
FALLINGWATER MAINTENANCE POSITION
Mill Run, PA
Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright’s architectural masterpiece located just 4 miles north of Ohiopyle, is looking for a dependable, skilled person to fill a full time maintenance position. Must be available to work weekends and holidays as needed. Qualified candidates should have experience in skilled maintenance functions, including ability to do carpentry and masonry jobs, work with power tools, chain saws, tractors, and perform other maintenance-related tasks. Sewage treatment experience is preferred; state certification a plus. Essential functions of the job include the physical ability to dig, lift and move heavy items, as needed. Full time and seasonal positions provide excellent benefits. Salary commensurate with experience. To apply send a resume, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with Fallingwater Maintenance in the subject line.
Mill Run, PA
Fallingwater, the architectural masterwork designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, has an opening for a part time housekeeping specialist. Will follow established procedures for cleaning the museum spaces and will assist in cleaning other buildings on the property. Prior housekeeping experience is strongly preferred. Successful applicants must be dependable, flexible with schedule, able to work weekends as needed, and lift 35 lbs with ease. Position will be eligible for a pension contribution after applicable waiting period and required hours. To apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and list Housekeeper in the subject line of the email.
Mill Run, PA
Fallingwater (located 90 minutes southeast of downtown Pittsburgh) seeks a highly-experienced full-time Registrar to oversee the care, management, and proper storage of its collection. S/he will have experience with a variety of media including furniture, textiles, ceramics, basketry, glass, paintings, and works on paper as well as correspondence, photographs, and books. Additional responsibilities include collections care, risk management, incoming/outgoing loans, accessions/deaccessions, and security of artwork in transit. The Registrar will report to the Director of Preservation and oversee temporary intern staff and volunteers.
Posting Instructions: Send resume, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org and list Registrar in the subject line of the email.
- Recommend and implement policies and procedures regarding registration to ensure best practices and prevailing ethical standards relating to collections management and safety of collections.
- Oversee the coordination of accessioning procedures, including paper documentation with accurate information and physical numbering for identification.
- Direct the creation and/or maintenance of legal and informational documents on permanent collections and loans, such as museum receipts, deeds of gift, condition reports, etc.
- Supervise the consistent updating of information in the collections management system as well as physical files; resolves discrepancies and inconsistencies.
- Develop and implement inventory and storage projects, including housing/rehousing of objects.
- Oversee the dissemination of information on the collection to other departments, researchers, and students.
- Oversee internal and external object movement, including acting as courier when required.
- Contribute to department budget development process and strategic planning initiatives.
- Contribute texts and any documentation for grant proposals as needed.
- Provide instruction on art handling techniques to staff as needed.
- A four-year college degree in Art or Architectural History, Museum Studies, or related field; an advanced degree (MA or MS) is preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years museum registration experience with a four-year degree, preferably in an historic house museum setting.
- Minimum of 2-4 years museum registration experience with exposure to a wide variety of media and collections materials, preferably with twentieth-century design.
- Demonstrated knowledge of professional museum practices, including registration methods, safe object handling and art preservation, packing and shipping, storage of art, security measures, and object numbering techniques.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated skill in collection management databases (PastPerfect preferred), MediaPro, Microsoft Word and Excel, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and written and oral communication skills.
- Possess the ability and willingness to maintain a high level of accuracy, have a strong attention to detail, and to prioritize workflow. Exhibit a keen sense of diplomacy as well as the ability to work well with a wide variety of museum professionals, vendors, students, guides, and the general public.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 35 lbs.
Mill Run, PA
Fallingwater, the architectural masterwork designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, located in the heart of the Laurel Highlands, is in search of part time Tour Guides. Come join a dynamic and collaborative team of museum educators that greet visitors from around the world. This is a great opportunity to work at a world-renowned architectural site, build your presentation and interpretation skills and enhance your resume. Whether you are a retired professional or just beginning your career, Fallingwater can change you and your vocational path.
Tour Guides engage visitors on one hour non-scripted general architecture tours of Fallingwater. Guides may also have opportunities to lead educational workshops and give presentations. Tour Guides must be able to retain architectural and historical facts, dates and anecdotes, and then customize that information according to the interests of the visitors. Tours should be conversational as the guide facilitates the visitor’s self-discovery of architecture in harmony with nature. Guides must be comfortable speaking in front of groups and will engage visitors ages 6 to106 from diverse cultures, languages and geographic areas. Must be articulate, positive, outgoing, dependable, flexible and have a professional demeanor.
To apply, email cover letter and resume to email@example.com and list Tour Guide in the subject line of the email.
VISITOR SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE
Mill Run, PA
Fallingwater, a property entrusted to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, has a part time opening in the Visitor Services Department. Will provide superior customer service, handle reservations, sell admission tickets and on-line ticket sales, and greet and assist visitors at the visitor services desk. Qualifications include good verbal and written communications skills, professional telephone etiquette, very good computer skills, and a strong customer service orientation. Must be flexible with schedule and available to work weekends as needed. To apply, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and list VSR in the subject line of the email.
If you're interested in applying for an internship, please see our Internships page.
Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.