The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy offers short and long-term summer internship opportunities for college and graduate students interested in careers related to the Conservancy’s many departments. Interns complete hands-on projects relevant to their area of specialization while working closely with supervisors, colleagues and volunteers in their host department.
We also offer fall and spring semester internships for students currently enrolled in degree-granting programs. These internships are unpaid and require a commitment of 12 hours per week for 10 weeks. The Conservancy strongly encourages applications from students who are members of groups underrepresented in careers related to its mission.
Current Internship Opportunities
Interns will assist with implementing a variety of watershed restoration projects and aquatic surveys, in close coordination with Watershed Conservation staff.
- Water quality monitoring & assessment
- Watershed restoration and stream habitat enhancement
- Agricultural best management practices
- Volunteer training
- Project design, planning, and implementation
- Biological survey work focusing on macroinvertebrates, various fish species, hellbender salamanders, and/or freshwater mussels
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel
- Able to travel to various worksites and willing to work some evenings, weekends and overnight trips as needed
- The ability to conduct field research in remote locations as part of a team is essential for this position
- Job requires the ability to traverse rugged terrain while carrying at least 50 pounds of equipment in a variety of weather conditions and assist with strenuous physical duties, including heavy lifting and using hand/power tools to complete construction activities
- Must have the ability to swim
- Utilizing keyboarding and fine motor skills
- Bending, twisting, lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds
- Climbing up and down stairways
- Sitting/standing/walking for periods in excess of 2 hours
- Evenings and weekend hours
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the job with or without accommodation
This position's primary location(s): Watershed Conservation Office (Indiana, PA)
Tentative term dates September 6, 2022 to December 31, 2022
Pay$15.00 per hour
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and list Watershed Intern in the subject line.
Application DeadlineSeptember 1, 2022
All WPC/Fallingwater locations are mask friendly, but not required. We are encouraging vaccinations. All employees are required to follow the WPC Covid policy in effect, which is subject to change based on CDC recommendations.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is fully committed to diversity and inclusion. We seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our team. Read our equal opportunity employer statement.