Fallingwater, a property entrusted to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy and designated as a National Historic Landmark and inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List, is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional as its new Sous Chef. An iconic museum destination with an international audience, Fallingwater offers its visitors an unparalleled experience and upholds the highest industry standards in customer service and hospitality. The Sous Chef plays a key role in upholding those standards by acting as the assistant to the Executive Chef. Duties include supervising the café staff at the Fallingwater Visitor Center, directing food preparation, helping with menu creation and meal design and assisting with special events. Our organization strives to operate as sustainably as possible and knowledge in sustainable food practices is preferred. Our ideal candidate is a creative, talented team leader that is passionate about participating in the creation of delicious seasonal food.
- Works directly with Executive Chef in all aspects of running a food service operation including organization, paperwork, cooking, employee training and supervision, inventorying, cleaning, menu production, and special event catering.
- Assists in the development of seasonal menus and meal design and develops new menu options based on seasonal change and customer demand.
- Assists in monitoring inventory at both Café and Kitchen. Assists Executive Chef in ordering food and supplies as needed.
- Supervises Cafe staff, plans and schedules daily food production and foodservice sanitation, as directed by Executive Chef.
- Assists Executive Chef in training new hires and existing staff, including training on continuing compliance with food service regulations, and in overall Café cleaning and maintenance.
- Upholds Fallingwater’s sustainability standards and meets all requirements of certification with theGreen Restaurant Association and Sustainable Pittsburgh Restaurants.
- Ensures that cash control measures in the Cafe are followed.
- Oversees general Cafe cleaning and maintenance to ensure aesthetic standards are maintained.
- Assists with customer complaints and difficult customers.
- Supports the Conservancy’s cost containment and fundraising efforts and needs, as applicable and directed by the Executive Chef.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as requested.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs
- Ability to regularly reach with hands and arms and talk or hear while performing job duties
- Ability to sit for extended periods while prepping food; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and climb or balance
- Ability to stand for extended periods throughout the work day, as well as stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Ability to work in an environment with moderate to high noise level
- Ability to work in an environment with exposure to fumes and vibrations
- Ability to drive a motor vehicle
- Minimum of two years of formal culinary/foodservice management training or commensurate experience; minimum of two years of culinary preparation experience; minimum two years of culinary management experience in similar volume operation with comparable duties and responsibilities.
- Must be well versed in a wide variety of cooking skills, techniques and possess a knowledge of food presentation.
- Must have or be able to obtain current certifications and licenses required by local, state, and/or Federal guidelines for food production management.
- Must be able to successfully complete training to be ServSafe certified through the National Restaurant Association.
- Knowledge in sustainable food practices is preferred.
- Proven skills as a strong team player with some experience supervising employees and with professional kitchen organization is required.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays, be able to work overtime as necessary, and show flexibility with scheduling and hours.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, staff, customers, and general public.
- Proficiency with MS Office software and experience with POS systems required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- To be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Experience with food preparation, cooking service and preparation
- Good customer service and organizational skills
- Some experience handling cash
- Some knowledge of food preparation and presentation
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, holidays and be flexible with schedule and hours
This position's primary location(s): Fallingwater (Mill Run, PA)
This is a full-time, seasonal position with benefits.
The pay range of this position is $25.05-$28.32 an hour. Please include pay requirements, as employment offer will commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a letter and resume to email@example.com and list Sous Chef in the subject line.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is fully committed to diversity and inclusion. We seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our team. Read our equal opportunity employer statement.