Watershed AmeriCorps Service Member
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy (WPC), seeks a Pennsylvania Mountain Service Corps AmeriCorps Member to serve the Conservancy’s watershed conservation program in Indiana, Pa. for one year. The service member will work under the supervision of and in close coordination with assigned watershed conservation staff to implement a variety of watershed restoration projects and aquatic surveys.
- Water quality monitoring and assessment
- Watershed restoration including riparian tree plantings and instream habitat projects
- Volunteer training
- Biological survey work focusing on macroinvertebrates, various fish species, freshwater mussels and hellbender salamanders are possible
- Delivering educational programs to watershed conservation program constituents including K-12 programs
- Extensive overnight travel required
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree in biology, watershed science, stream ecology, environmental studies or a related field
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel
- Able to travel to various worksites and willing to work some evenings, weekends and overnight trips as needed
- The ability to conduct field research in remote locations is essential for this position
- Valid driver’s license
- The ability to swim
- Position requires the ability to traverse rugged terrain while carrying at least 50 pounds of sampling gear in a variety of weather conditions.
- Position requires the ability to assist with strenuous physical duties, including heavy lifting and using hand/power tools to complete construction activities.
- Utilizing keyboarding and fine motor skills
- Bending, twisting, lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds
- Climbing up and down stairways
- Sitting, standing, walking for periods in excess of 2 hours
- Evenings and weekend hours
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the job with or without accommodation
This position's primary location(s): Watershed Conservation Office (Indiana, PA)
This is a year-long position, starting August 22, 2022 and ending August 4, 2023.
This is not an employment opportunity, but rather a National Service AmeriCorps position to serve within the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, which is a designated National Service Site. Upon successful completion of the position, an education award of $6,495.00 is earned.
A bi-weekly living stipend of $835.72 will be provided by PMSC AmeriCorps.
Please send a cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com and list Watershed AmeriCorps Service Member in the subject line.
Application DeadlineJuly 22, 2022
Masks are optional within all WPC/Fallingwater locations. We are encouraging vaccinations and will be implementing weekly testing effective March 5, 2022 for those not vaccinated.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is fully committed to diversity and inclusion. We seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our team. Read our equal opportunity employer statement.