Fallingwater, a National Historic Landmark and a site on the UNESCO World Heritage List owned by the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional as its new Executive Chef. As an iconic museum destination with an international audience, Fallingwater offers its visitors an unparalleled experience and upholds the highest industry standards in customer service and hospitality. Fallingwater’s executive chef plays a key role for the site by overseeing the café operation at the Fallingwater Visitor Center, fine dining for specialty tours, and menu and food preparation for fundraising events.
Located in the Laurel Highlands of Southwestern Pennsylvania, Fallingwater takes great pride in the rich heritage of Appalachia and encourages the executive chef to take inspiration from the region’s culinary history to create elevated and seasonal offerings that are contemporary yet authentic. Our organization strives to operate as sustainably as possible, and Fallingwater has achieved Green Restaurant Association and Sustainable Pittsburgh Restaurant certifications by minimizing waste, reducing water and energy consumption, and using the best organic ingredients from local farms and regional purveyors. Additionally, the Conservancy’s Farmland Access Initiative provides unique collaborative opportunities for regional sourcing and food sustainability.
- Develops unique and cuisine-appropriate menus for the Fallingwater Café and special events and takes inspiration from the culinary heritage of this region of Appalachia
- Demonstrates an ability to provide high-quality offerings to a diverse range of audiences across programs. Delivers popular, affordable options for the general public at the Fallingwater Café as well as high-concept, elevated fine dining for fundraising events
- Stays current on development trends in the restaurant industry, particularly as they relate to organic food standards and sustainability
- Maintains Green Restaurant Association and Sustainable Pittsburgh Restaurant certifications and works to continually enhance sustainability of all operations
- Monitors inventory and purchases supplies and food from approved vendors, with a focus on local and regional sources
- Explores partnerships with local farms and purveyors as well as the Conservancy’s Farmland Access Program to meet food sustainability goals
- Oversees inventory control and prepares year-end inventory analysis
- Maintains kitchen building, café cook area and surroundings in conditions that meet the highest standards and health code regulations
- Hires, trains, and supervises kitchen and café staff, ensuring the highest standards of professionalism, hospitality, customer service, and quality
- Directs and trains kitchen and café staff in meal preparation, plating and service, providing prep support as needed
- Prepares meals for special events and fundraising dinners
- Oversees the wine and beverage program, working with Security to maintain inventories for all alcoholic beverages
- Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy’s policies, programs and procedures. These responsibilities include the development and administration of budgetary information; recommending and/or approving staff changes or actions; ensuring appropriate training and staff development; providing advice and guidance on the more complex aspects of the job; and resolving complaints or related divisional issues
- Ensures that cash control measures in all food service operations are followed.
- Supports the Conservancy’s cost containment and fundraising efforts and needs, as applicable
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as needed
- Advanced education in food preparation, culinary arts or equivalent experience is required
- Prior experience working for high volume in an arts/culture, resort, hotel, catering or comparable setting is required
- Prior supervisory experience is required. Must have the ability to plan work schedules and assign duties; ability to provide or arrange for training; ability to supervisor employees
- High level of skill and abilities in planning and preparing a variety of menus/recipes
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment and services necessary to run an efficient kitchen
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well with managers and staff is essential
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to regularly reach with hands and arms and talk or hear while performing job duties
- Ability to sit for extended periods while prepping food; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and climb or balance
- Ability to stand for extended periods throughout the work day, as well as stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Ability to work in an environment with moderate to high noise level
- Ability to work in an environment with exposure to fumes and vibrations
- Ability to drive a motor vehicle
- Knowledge of catering for special events preferred
- Knowledge of organic food standards and sustainable restaurant operations preferred
- Ability to deal with suppliers and vendors
- Knowledge of local suppliers helpful
This position's primary location(s): Fallingwater (Mill Run, PA)
This is a regular, full-time opportunity with full benefits.
$57,000 – $67,000
Please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and list Executive Chef in the subject line.
All WPC/Fallingwater locations are mask friendly, but not required. We are encouraging vaccinations. All employees are required to follow the WPC Covid policy in effect, which is subject to change based on CDC recommendations.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is fully committed to diversity and inclusion. We seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our team. Read our equal opportunity employer statement.